Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Brookhart, p. 62 Exercise 1

Yes, I'm once again doing my homework on the blog. Hey, what would a blog about teaching be without some homework?! This post is in response to a question about a diagram linking lesson objectives, instructional activities, and assessment of student learning.

This diagram and the connections it portrays are very important to an educator, especially one just starting out. As Brookhart (the author) points out, it is an extremely simplified view of assessment however; I appreciate this simplicity when beginning my teaching career. There will be many factors that affect how a student is graded and assessed, among them I.E.P.'s, required accommodations, school/district guidelines, and the nature of each lesson. That being said, how can a student be expected to achieve passing grades if he/she is not assessed on the objectives that were taught in class? Wouldn't we be failing out students if we teach them one thing, then turn around and grade them on another? How would an employee feel if his/her boss assigned him/her a task, it was completed based upon the guidelines given, and then said employee was fired because the boss really meant to have them do something else? The blame in this analogy should be placed on the boss! As an educator, I will strive to teach my students everything they need to know to master their subject and will assess them based upon the pre-lesson objectives. If I do not achieve this, I should be the one to blame, not the student. This is a great diagram to keep in mind as I begin the job of assessing students. It's simple but it is also very clear on how assessments should be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment