Monday, December 20, 2010

Go overseas!

As many of you may know, I spent a year in Germany as a high school exchange student, attending a German school and living with a German family. It was the most profound experience of my life and it influenced my decision to study German and History in college. It was also the first step on this path that is leading me to become a teacher of German!

I spend the year in Germany in 1997-1998. For the last 12 years, many young people have asked me about that experience. My response is always the same, and it is one that I share with you today. If an opportunity presents itself to you to spend some time living, actually living, in another country, take it and don't look back. Even if you are afraid to learn another language, seek out an opportunity in an English language speaking country and take advantage of it. If you truly believe in making the world a smaller place and making connections, spend some time living in another country. Living in a new culture allows you to see life through another perspective. Customs may be different. Not better, not worse, just different. You will be forced to try things you never would of considered before. More times than not, the experience will change the way you look at the world in a positive way.

As a teacher, I look forward to sharing my experiences living overseas with my students. While being an exchange student may not be an option for everyone, I will try to bring some of the different perspectives I learned into my classroom in order to show my students what life in another country is like. I also look forward to being involved in student exchange programs where I can open doors to other cultures for my students. There is no better way of seeing the world than through the eyes of another person. If you ever have the chance, take the plunge. Go overseas!

No comments:

Post a Comment