Tuesday, July 27, 2010

In a Holding Pattern


I haven't posted much lately because my current professor has been in the hospital, hopefully recovering sooner rather than later. Anyway, her unexpected illness has canceled class for the past two weeks(and possible longer). Kids: Another reason to study hard and go to college...there are no substitute teachers, if the real thing is sick, class is canceled!! In the mean time, I continue reading my textbook and preparing assignments to be submitted electronically.

I have continued to revise my teaching philosophy and every time I do, I discover something new and frankly, fascinating. It truly is a living, breathing document that I have enjoyed molding into something very positive and sturdy that I can lay as the foundation of my classroom. My German classrooms in high school, led by Herr Rhinehart and Frau Bowman, were very results orientated, speaking-based, positive environments with a dash of humor thrown in. For me, that resulted in a very comfortable place to speak a new language. I understand however, that most students are scared to death to speak in a classroom in their own language, let alone a foreign one. Therefore, I have added something to my philosophy to address this. It may of course be revised again, but what do you think?


" By combining a positive, respectful classroom environment as discussed above with my up-to-date, enthusiastic planning of curriculum explained below, I have the ability to convince students to overcome the fear of speaking a foreign language out loud. I make it cool and comfortable to speak German!"

I love speaking German, and I hope and pray that I can pass that on to my future students!

No comments:

Post a Comment