Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Learning About Grading

The preceding post was part of a reflection about grading from my school experience. Our seminar will be focusing on the art of grading over the semester. This post is an opportunity to look back at my notions of grading and, as we begin to read our grading text, see how those thoughts evolve. The answers given here are in response to Exercise # 2, Chapter 1 of our grading textbook.
My personal understanding of grades comes from my having grown up in a family of teachers. I was always told that grades were not given, they were earned. My father would say things like, "I didn't given anyone an F this semester, they earned it." Or, "Your teacher didn't choose to give you a B-, you only did B- work."
I have not looked at grades in the past as to their value to a teacher or administrator. It is clear their value to students and parents, especially when their accuracy and validity are unquestioned. This is where the value lies for school personnel. With a record of grades from past years, teachers and administrators can look for patterns of reliability. These records can then be used to improve instruction and testing techniques. This can lead to better assessment and accuracy in the future, which will improve the overall success of a teacher and a school.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have said the exact words your dad has said . . . I've only given what a student has earned.

    But in doing so, I made sure I could back up my assessment of that student. I believe in multiple assessments, evaluations, traditional exams and quizzes, portfolios, and other ways of measuring student achievement.

    I think you'll learn that as well . . . a mid-term and a final are not accurate measures of what students have learned.

    ReplyDelete